Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Looking For My Holiday Spirit



I have been trying to find my holiday spirit but it's not happening. I don't know why but it doesn't feel like the holiday time. There's usually a different feeling in the air around this time of the year. I don't feel it yet. I have only listened to Santa Claus Goes Straight to The Ghetto by James Brown only once and that was because it came on the radio while I was driving. I was trying to come up with a clear reason why it doesn't feel that way but I haven't been successful. I did attend my grandmother's funeral service three weeks ago and that kind of put a damper on the holiday season spirit for me. No one around me seems to be really into it. This is one of the few times I wish I had one of those over the top people at my office that wears those ugly Christmas sweaters and reindeer horns with bells on them around the office for the entire month of December. I would have been trying to make them feel good by acting excited and worked myself into the spirit. I still have time between now and New Years to get it going. I'm thinking about going to the store this evening and buying a Hot Wheels race track for myself in an attempt to reconnect with my inner kid. You should always try to stay connected with your inner kid. My inner kid been inside with the chicken pox or something because I haven't seen him lately.

Things are not bad despite my lack of holiday spirit. My sister told me she heard her baby's heartbeat for the first time. That doesn't suck. I also found some really old and dear friends on Facebook this week. That doesn't suck either. I'll work through whatever it is. Everything will be good as soon as it stops raining.

3 comments:

Leigh C. said...

I for one will be extremely thankful for one week - ONE WEEK - without rain. The deluges we've been having would dampen even James Brown's spirits.

Happy hollerdays anyhow, Cliff. Be well and have a smile when a car sporting those reindeer horns and a Rudolph nose on the grill passes you by.

Susanna Powers said...

When strangers who have nothing in common see each other on the sidewalk, they might normally look down and say nothing, or on a good day might bring it all the way up to saying "hey". On Christmas Day those same people will say "Merry Christmas"-- that's where we get a little real Christmas spirit. So I hope you feel it tomorrow! sp, n.o.

K. said...

I'm sorry for your loss. It's tough when even the Godfather of Soul can't raise your spirits. But you and your inner child have a Merry Christmas anyway!