Tuesday, December 27, 2005

New Year ,New Life, New Energy



There will not be another sad, sentimental post about the holidays. Anyone that reads this blog knows what has went on in my life for 2005 and we don't need to go over that again. Things will never be the same and that's a fact. With this being my last post until the New Year, I thought I would just think about what 2006 will have to offer. I don't make resolutions because I have never came close to keeping one. Plus when you make resolutions you are admitting that something about you needs changing and I am much too in denial to ever admit to needing some change. There are some things I want to try and do for myself in the next year and beyond. The first thing is that I want to start reading more books beyond King Magazine again. I looked at all the books I owned at home and realized how long it had been since I actually opened one of them and read more than a paragraph. I purchased my first new book. The Michael Eric Dyson Reader for Christmas and I am going to start with that one. My attention stand is short so I am setting a goal of 12 books by the end of the year. That's one a month. I think I can do that. The second thing I want to do is take better care of myself. I was doing ok before that event in August. I had started playing ball again and was feeling good. The last few months I have been eating and drinking in a mixture of boredom and depression and I am slowly starting to resemble a pear. I will never be small. I have never been since a kid. I can be in shape and feeling better however and that's what I am going to do. The third thing is try to figure out where the next five years of my life will be spent. I don't like moving and being unstable. I have decided that New Orleans gets one more shot to get their act together. Love and history will take me back there before the end of the year and we will see how things start working itself out. If things appear not to be moving in the right direction, I may have to roll out for the sake of my children's future. I was always willing to put aside certain professional goals for the sake of staying home. I always figured being around family and friends was worth the aggravation of hearing other friends and family tell you how good it was in other places. Now, the friends and family are gone and the recovery is going so slowly that it's anyone's guess when they will be coming back. That means if an opportunity presents itself in another place I can stand, I may have to explore it. My main wish is to go home and help the community recover and prepare for the influx of people once FEMA cuts the cord. That will give me the most satisfaction. If it doesn't work out that way it won't be because I didn't try.

To all my friends and people who read this blog, I hope you have a great and prosperous New Year.

To all my people from New Orleans...We can't pretend that what happened didn't happen. I don't know the right way to fully move on so I won't offer any. We'll just take our new lives one day at a time and make them as good as they can be.

To my family and love ones.....We are all going to be ok. Things will work themselves out with time.

Rest in Peace to Walter Harris Sr. 1916-2005. I miss the stories and the perspective. To my grandmothers Mildred and Geraldine, I miss you both and hope to see you again soon.

No comments: