Thursday, April 3, 2008

Rest In Peace Ashley Morris


Tomorrow when I leave work. I am heading to my cigar shop and buying the biggest, smelliest cigar I can and enjoy it in honor of my blog friend and huge supporter of this blog Ashley Morris. I went to his page tonight and found out he passed away. I met Ashley once at last year's Rising Tide event but I communicated with him at least once or twice a week. I am sorry we never got to enjoy our cigars together. We should have made those plans sooner. You never know what tomorrow is going to bring. I would pour out some liquor for you but I know you would want me to drink it instead.

See ya on the other side....

3 comments:

DebC said...

Cliff,

As I read my weekly "FeedBlitz" update today, I didn't know. I didn't get it.

I'd only known him through his contributions to "Ashley Morris: the blog" and "Got that new package." What a spirit! My prayers and protection to his wife and young ones. I will keep his blog on my blog roll because he was my kind of man!

Alan Gutierrez paid such a tribute to Ashley today and it never occurred to me why (too tied up in my own shit, if I'm honest). Like Alan, I've decided. I don't really care what is thought of me (okay, I never really cared.). As in Ashley's "FYYFF" post, walk in my damn shoes.

People like Ashley were part of why I felt I had to go to NOLA the first time - and why I went back again. I had no "real" money to donate to schools or hospitals or anything - just me - and a proud heart that understood. I gave what I could and I'm so damned glad I did.

Ashley had a proud heart too - strong, vocal and unapologetic. The love for his city was alive and palpable. It made me jealous and wanting sometimes. He loved and believed not only in the "rightness of the thing," but he believed in being FROM somewhere, FROM something. For that, there's a place in my heart for him always. He touched a lot of damn people, make no mistake!

To Hana and the kids - take care Chere

DebC said...

Cliff,

Tried toleave a comment on the previous post, "From Me to Bernadine," but couldn't click on the link nor read the other three comments. Just had to just say somewhere about that post - "Beautiful!"

DebC said...

I forgot...good to see you out of that "I'm not posting funk!