Saturday, September 13, 2008

Act Like A Man Vince


What the hell is wrong with Vince Young? I’m tired of these brothers getting to the height of their profession and then folding mentally. You can’t refuse to go back into a game and then talk about doing harm to yourself because the crowd booed you. Eli Manning and his entire family got booed at the draft and he kept going.


I heard Jason Whitlock on the Jim Rome show last week and he was right. Some of these brothers need some male influence in their lives. It would be great if that person was their dad. If I would have not wanted to enter that game my dad would have went down there and made me put that helmet on. Then again, he wouldn’t have to because I am too proud of my name and wouldn’t embarrass him like that. You can’t quit in life when things don’t go right. Men are supposed to take pride in the fact that things happen to them and it can’t break them. That’s the best kind of swagger to have. I'm not saying he can't be upset or emotional. Handle that in private with yourself and your love ones then back out there and keep grinding. Too many of these young cats live for constant praise. That’s impossible because everybody is going to have a day when they suck. If you think getting booed after a few interceptions is bad, try going to the unemployment office to file for your check when you have a four month old baby at home. That’s a day that truly sucks and I was joking with my unemployment agent.


Stories like this one make me think about the old Saints quarterback Aaron Brooks. Aaron had some rough years here and most people couldn’t stand him. They booed him. They called him names. I was in that dome and let me tell you it was rough on that guy. Through all of that Aaron maintained his dignity. He didn’t go home and beat his wife. The police never found him wandering through the French Quarter drinking and starting fights with fans. That’s why even though I am still amazed at how many times he could drop the ball out of his hands without anyone touching him I still respect him. Someone needs to give Aaron Brook’s number to Vince.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not only did Aaron Brooks maintain his dignity on the field, but he made a difference off the field as well. Aaron supported children's literacy and played a big part in the New Orleans Public Library's Summer Reading Program. His wife, Tisa, did as well.