Monday, May 21, 2012

The Calling In Sick of Politics


Today was a long work day but I struggled and made it through. I didn’t really sleep at all last night. When I woke up this morning I thought long and hard about calling in to work but I didn’t. In my entire adult life I have only called into work without a good reason once. That was to go to a Saints game in 1996 so even my manager understood. I believe when you make a commitment to a job you stick to it. That’s why I fought through my day today and why it makes no sense to me that my city council person is not going to work right now.

I often wonder what makes political leaders take certain stands when they do. Out of all the things that have taken place in the city, could Councilwoman Hedge-Morrell and Councilman Johnson really be holding up city business because of the way we elect at-large council members? That should be something that can be worked out without a protest. They also voiced concerns over Councilwoman’s Head’s replacement for her District B seat. They feel he’s unqualified. My opinion is who cares who’s the councilperson is District B. If the people of that district are okay with an unqualified person to replace their former representative so be it. I’m concerned with having nice things in the area where I live.

 I believe in the phrase “to the victor go the spoils”. Ms. Head won her new at-large fair and square. Let her name who she wants to her old seat just like every other person has done. If they didn’t want her to have that much power they should have ran against her or helped her opponent Cynthia Willard-Lewis. None of that happened so just let it go and deal with it.

The other theory as to why they are holding out on going back is they are doing the mayor’s bidding so he can appoint his own foot soldier to the council. If that’s true then I have to ask what’s in it for Districts D and E if that happens. Are we getting extra police patrols? Will some of the projects that haven’t been completed in our area move up the list? Are we getting the second Costco store? What about a hospital? ….Wal Mart?......Anything? If all they are doing is helping the mayor gain more influence so he can turn over entire neighborhoods to the Hospitality Zone and spur development in other areas then they could have went back to work already. The least they can do is get something out of it for their districts so they won’t look like the pawns they are appearing to be right now


3 comments:

Tangki Fiberglass said...

Nice article! I like to reading it.

Atap Fiberglass said...

Great! Finally i find this article.

Apartemen Lavish said...

Very insightful post. Keep up the good works. Thanks.