Sunday, August 28, 2011

Seven Years In Blogger Land And I'm Still Here

On August 25, 2011 this blog made 7 years old. I'm old school. I'm a veteran. I've been posting a long time. You get the idea. I'm amazed at myself for still being this engaged despite my incredibly short attention span. The last few months I had been seriously thinking about retiring and hanging up my Blogger user id and password. I was all set to do it but then I changed my mind. I figured after years of coming up with new things to talk about a few times a week I had run out of ideas or the interest in the world around me to talk about anything. The real truth is that I am just getting lazy and distracted by things. I still love doing it so I'm going to hang around for a bit longer.

Yesterday I was this year’s Rising Tide Conference. It’s the perfect place to be for a blogger who needs a boost. A friend of mine was on the Brass Band Panel. When he saw me he asked what I was doing there. I told him I was there every year. He looked at my name tag and was like “What the hell is Cliff’s Crib?” I told him it was my website. He gave me a confused look and said “Cliff you gotta website?” He’s probably still confused today. The conference is getting bigger and bigger. It’s getting so big that now you can actually be there all day and not run into some of the familiar faces. That’s a huge sign of progress. It shows that blogs are still going strong despite the term for what we do being lumped in with every person who decides to leave a comment on a news story or anyone else that types a few words online.

What they do is comment on other people’s work. What real bloggers do is create our own voice. Sometimes we do a good job of that and sometimes we don’t. Sometimes people read it and sometimes no one notices. Either way I respect the people who go through the process and put themselves out there even if I don’t agree with them.

I remember how it was last year to be at the Rising Tide Conference knowing you won the Ashley Morris Award and couldn’t tell anyone. I thought I gave it away when my friends showed up and lowered the black/white ratio of the crowd slightly. I have my plaque sitting on a stand in my office at work. Winning an award for blogging is funny because one of the unwritten rules of the game is to try to not make things so serious. It’s hard to maintain that when people stand up and applaud your work.

This year’s winner is Dedra Johnson also known as G Bitch to her blogger friends. She’s a well deserving winner and I can assure you that her real life personality does not match the name of her blog. She’s good people and I am happy for her. Congratulations and I hope we are all around next year when a new winner is honored.

To all the other bloggers out there still coming up with relevant, informative and thought provoking posts keep doing what you do. I’ll be right there with you. I love doing it. Plus, you can’t put a price on telling someone “Google me” and actually have things show up during the search that don't involve arrests. You can’t put a price on that.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

PLEEZE HELP MEE FOR GOD SAKE

oyster said...

"... slightly" (the slightly made me laugh.

Yeah, RT needs to try harder to improve the ratios. I think the conference can and will do better at broadening the appeal.

And I know what you mean about the urge to quit blogging after any number of years. Glad you press on through it, because if and when you ever hang it up, your voice will be sorely missed.

Anyway, good to see you yesterday. Maybe one of these years we'll find it in the budget to start comping former Ashley Award winners.

Judy Thorne said...

Glad you're not ready to retire from blogging. You're a breath of fresh air in my daily blog reading treks.

LSL said...

I'm glad you're going to continue to write. I've only been reading for a few months, but you have a unique voice and I enjoy your writing.

G Bitch said...

Cliff, your voice is so strong, wise, in touch and unafraid, we would all be less without you.

I was doubly honored---to get the Ashley Award, and to get the Ashley a year after you did.

I don't usually keep such refined company.

Tim said...

I know I don't comment much--heck, nowadays it seems like nobody leaves comments anymore because we're all hashing it out on Twitter--but I do read and enjoy your blog. I'm happy you keep doing it.

Peace,

Tim

Anonymous said...

Cliff, as much as your blog is about you "keepin' it real". G-Bitch is an alter ego to the sweet Dedra.
--
mominem