Saturday, April 23, 2011

There's No Pause Button In Life

I’m not going to write another emotional tribute to a family today although the one I lost definitely warrants that. As I sit here outside after doing some chores I realized just how little time there is to really reflect on anything good or bad for too long. The lost one of my favorite people in the whole world it just so happened to come at a time when I am probably the busiest professionally and personally. It’s no one’s fault and I am not complaining. It’s just one of those things that make life so complicated.

On one hand we have all these events and circumstances that affect us and we need to deal with them as well as we can. On the other hand things are constantly moving and life keeps going so much that I don’t know how much you truly get to reconcile your emotions. I wish everyone in the country had a year’s worth of time to just make everything stop so you could take a month off from doing things without going into financial ruin and your life being destroyed because you couldn’t numb yourself enough to act like everything was okay. There would be less people holding in all that built up frustration and animosity towards other people that usually comes spilling out at the wrong time and causes even more issues. I would love time like that. The only problem would be that after Katrina I would have used mine up already.

Since we don’t have the ability to do anything like that the only other option is the balancing act between reminiscing about the past and dealing with lost and at the same time moving forward and building blocks for the future. So while I sit outside and watch the kids of the next generation of my family play in the water I want to say rest in peace to Anna Thomas. I’ll miss her laugh most of all. A lot of things have changed for my family but we are still okay because of the foundation.

I hope everyone has a good weekend and if you have friends and family you care about spend as much time with them as possible. You never know when things may change and you’ll need those memories to get you through those rough days. That’s how I get through them.


2 comments:

Judy Thorne said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Cliff.

Life does seem to travel at the speed of life at times when we need it to pause. But like you said, we go on and do the best we can with what we have.

Hope you're doing okay.

Eating by Eliza said...

Great read