Monday, January 9, 2006

Doing what I have to

I sit here today getting ready for the next chapter of the life recovery process. In the next week or two I will be heading back to New Orleans to go to work. The option of working from home like I have been doing since September is ending and the powers that be want me to return to the office. I figured I would have to go back sooner or later. If my Kingsley House trailer doesn't come through soon, I will probably be staying with my best friend Cedric. That should be fun and create the black odd couple. I am happy and sad at the same time. I am happy because I want to be home in New Orleans to watch the conspiracy to destroy what is in my opinion the most afro centric culture in America while the people are not there. I want to say I was around when 100 years of history is treated like it's nothing. I also want to get back to some kind of normal working routine. Working in your pajamas was cool at first but I like interaction with other people when I am working so I am looking forward to that. On the other hand, I don't want to spend the time during the week away from my family. Over the last few months I have really started to like being a 24/7 dad. Before Katrina, I spent the few hours in the evening with my daughter and the rest of the day I was out doing my own thing. I like getting up in the morning and making breakfast, changing diapers, giving baths and all that stuff. I like it so much that even the thought of having free time in New Orleans to get things done isn't exciting me. I plan on going back to New Orleans so I want to keep it. I just hope the seperation anxiety doesn't cause me to quit the second day back and come back to Mississippi unemployed. Sometimes we do what we have to do and not what we want to.

No comments: