Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Top Ten Hip Hop Albums

Since Cliff's Crib is just starting up, I have allot of things to get off of my chest. I won't get into how I feel about the state of my beloved hip hop music right now. That will come at a later date. I decided to list my top ten albums of all time. These are in no particular order except for number 1.

1. Eric B. and Rakim - Paid in Full :

How can this not be the number one of all time. It came out when I was in 8th grade and I still know all of the words to it. Check out My Melody, Eric B. is President and Paid in Full are enough by themselves to take this one over the top.

2. Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold us Back:

This was the best P.E. album. Black Steel in the hour of Chaos may be the best single song ever! This is an album you play from beginning to end without skipping anything.

3. A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory:

This group should have never broken up. I had a hard time choosing between this album and Midnight marauders. I chose this one because Check the Rhyme gets top ten song status.

4. Tupac - Strictly for my Niggaz:

This is the pre Death Row Tupac. Lots of people got into his music with All Eyez on Me but I think that this album was him at his best without all the negative energy. It's much more revolutionary and focused.

5. Ice Cube - Amerikkka's Most Wanted:

My favorite rapper of all time first solo album. This is the old Ice Cube who was much more serious about rhyming and had a big chip on his shoulder.

6. Geto Boys - Grip it on the Other Level :

Since I'm from the south, I had to put somebody on here. This album was kind of dark but for some reason I never stopped listening to it. Check out City Under Seige.

7. Slick Rick - The Great Adventures of Slick Rick:

Children's Stories, Mona Lisa, Hey Young World , Teenage Love........end of story.

8. Notorius B.I.G. - Ready to Die:

I know I said this list was in no particular order after number 1 but I feel kind of bad having B.I.G. listed at number 8. If you love hip hop the way it was meant to be listened to, there is no way you don't have this in your top five.

9. Boogie Down Productions - By All Means necessary:

My Philosophy.....number one hip hop song of all time. I will not debate this.

10. Wu Tang Clan - Enter the 36 Chambers:

It's about 11 years old now and I still love this album like I just heard it. I still know all of the lyrics to these songs. How did these guys fall off so much.

Coming tomorrow...........top ten songs of all time.

No comments: