Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Putting Up With It For A Dollar

Yesterday I took my extra cash and decided to go to the shoe store and get my baby some tennis shoes for school. I try to stay in the city limits when I can to shop so I went to the store around the house. When I walked in the first thing I noticed was a group of people shopping with two bad kids that were knocking every display down. The sisters working in the store looked like they were going to pass out. Walking in the store behind me was a lady with two shoes in her hand, no box and no bag. She went to the counter and told the manager she had a problem. Apparently she came into the store and purchased two right shoes. One was a size 7 and the other a size 8. This might not have been a big deal if the store didn’t keep only right shoes on display and when you check out they go in the back to get the left one. She might have had an even better chance if she had a receipt, or a box the shoes came in.

The manager went to the back and the exchange that followed went something like this:

Manager: Ma’am, I have two left shoes of this size in the back and two right shoes on the rack. If you would have bought those shoes like that from this location I would not have any shoes on the rack at all or the left ones would be on the rack and there would be no shoes at all in the back to go with them. Do you have a receipt?

Customer: No!!! I DON’T KEEP RECEIPTS FOR SIMPLE STUFF LIKE SHOES!!

Manager: Can you bring me the box they were in? Are you sure it was this store?

Customer: I DON’T KEEP BOXES EITHER! I KNOW WHERE I BOUGHT THESE DAMN SHOES FROM! Y’ALL ALWAYS TRYING TO ACT FUNNY WITH PEOPLE!

Manager: Look, I am not giving you a fresh pair of shoes without a receipt from one of our locations. If you don’t like that then call the home office.

Customer: Fine then…….you blocking your blessings!


Then she drove off. After she left all I could do is look at the manager, shake my head and pray this economy doesn’t get to the point I have to try and go back to retail management to feed my family. My patience is not what it used to be. I would have taken both of those shoes and threw them and her out in the parking lot. Compared to some of the things I have had to put up with personally this was a mild encounter. (My favorite was the guy who cussed me out for a five dollar refund and then needed me to fill out his personal information for him because he couldn’t read the refund slip. You would think he would have been real polite.) Sometimes you have to put up with crazy stuff to make an honest living.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Working retail in a mall is what made me dedicate myself to going to law school.