Sunday, September 22, 2013

Sitting on My Porch Part Eighty Nine : Blogging While The Saints are On



The Saints and Cardinals game is about to start. I have never blogged through a game before. I’m not posting this until after the game so I could make a prediction and just fill in the actual score to look like a genius. My prediction is Saints 27 Cardinals 20. We’ll see what happens. 

It’s a nice cool day outside today. I don’t want to jinx anything but I am going to call this hurricane season a success. No one had to evacuate and no one was flooded. I realize it’s not over until November but we got past August and that’s usually a good sign. The Gulf Coast needed a year off after Isaac. It’s also good to get a nice cool front so we can finally turn the thermostat up and not run the air conditioning as much. Those summer energy bills are challenging when you make “almost money”. 

Score update 7-0 Cardinals….The Saints didn’t tackle anyone on that drive. 

“Almost money” is the income bracket where you make just enough money to not feel poor but not enough to keep from struggling every now and then. People in this category usually have issues during the summer months or when something unexpected comes along like a family illness that takes you out of your normal budget schedule. People who have almost money usually have nice cars but have very long car note terms. They could probably pay it off in four years but six years is a lot easier on the budget.  People with almost money are also more likely to use groupons, and frequent Outback Steakhouse when they really wish they were at Ruth’s Chris.  This topic deserves its own post. 

Score update:  Saints and Cardinals tied at 7…..welcome back Robert Meachem.
End of first quarter tied at 7…. Drew Brees is getting hit a lot. 

There was a time when I thought Jim Letten and his staff was the best thing to ever happen to New Orleans. I even wrote a post about why President Obama should leave him in place when he got elected. I’m second guessing that now since the police officers convicted in the Danziger case are going to get new trials. It baffles me what professional people will compromise their work for. I deal with confidential information at my job that is probably not as important as evidence in cases involving police shootings and even I know not to talk about it on the internet. It’s so ridiculous that it seems like one big scheme to get everyone off the hook. I don’t think that’s the case but if someone told me they felt that way I wouldn’t try to argue with them. 

Now we have to relive the whole Danziger event again and open those old wounds. It’s just a reminder that no matter how hard everyone seems to be trying to promote how much the city has changed, we still have a lot of the same problems. They might not be getting the same attention they used to because of economic development and our desire to be taken seriously as a world class city but they are still there.

Score update: Saints 14 Cardinals 7. Tom Benson is going to right Jimmy Graham a very big check. 

It’s still 14-7 Saints at halftime. We can’t run the ball today but Cam Jordan and the defense are playing great. This defense is nothing like we expected. 

A lot of people who know me think I have a problem with people falling in love with our culture and moving here. I don’t have an issue with that as long as natives are not excluded from opportunities. If we are all going to grow and prosper it’s as good thing.  I’m also for local artists and customs getting their day in the spotlight and affecting popular culture as long as no one tries to exploit the community. 
There have been a few challenges since our local culture went global. The biggest challenge is that not all things were meant to be consumed by the masses. Some things are enjoyable in small doses with the idea that it’s cool as long as it doesn’t become a national craze. Sometimes, when things crossover they can become corny and disturbing real fast and so much that even the people who were around when it started stop liking it. This is how I feel about twerking and why I hope no one ever leaves here and tries to start a Mardi Gras Indian gang in their hometown. Miley Cyrus and internet videos have ruined parties in New Orleans for me. 

Drew throws an intercept to the Honeybadger who I am pulling for to be successful. He could have waited until next week to get his first interception. 

Score Update:  Saints 17 Cardinals 7. Drew is still being hit too much but at least he’s moving around and trying to still make plays. 

I may go check out the new Cotsco store in Carrollton later on today.  It’s great to have them there instead of the empty lot that used to be the Carrollton shopping center. I’m also excited that the Wal Mart in Gentilly is about to happen. A lot of memories from my childhood were at the Carrollton mall and the Gentilly Woods mall so it’s sad not for them to be there anymore but I am glad there will be some stores to generate tax revenue with jobs instead of empty space and blight. 

Score update Saints 24 Cardinals 7. I have to give Drew Brees credit today for moving around and making places despite the offensive line struggling. 

Intercept Kenny Vaccaro. I may have been wrong about saying the Saints should have taken someone else with that draft pick. 

Final Score: Saints 31 Cardinals 7: After the first two games generated so much anxiety I needed a blowout like this. 

P.S. 
For the last few months I have had my own international diary in a new UK magazine called The New Idealist. Since I suck at self promotion I am just telling everyone and it's almost time for the third issue. Thanks to Lydia Andel and her crew in the UK. I hope your publication becomes huge.

7 comments:

Christy said...

Nice post. For me, however, watching a Saints game is about escaping reality. And also the chance to yell and scream and curse at the top of my lungs and not have people look at me like I'm crazy. It's quite cathartic. I wouldn't have the meaningful thoughts you have in your post during a game.

I'll also looking forward to checking out the new Costco. Keep on writing!

bayoucreole said...

I really enjoyed this post Cliff. I can't wait for Walmart to be up and running either. I was so sick of looking at all of that blight. I haven't gone to Costco yet. I'm gonna try to wait for the crowd to die down a little.

Clipping Path said...

Its Very unique post you have made i am waiting for the new ones. Hope will get Better one soon.

Robert Smith said...

Wonderful article!. Keep sharing more in future, Thanks
clipping path service
Background Removal

Clipping Path said...


I'm appreciate your writing skill. Please keep on working hard. Thanks for sharing.

TRISHA NELSON said...

HERPES/HIV is a serious and recurring disease which can't be cure through drugs or injections by an American doctors but the best way to deal with Herpes is by taking natural herbs medicine for it,  I have red about DR JAMES the great herbalist doctor who cured me from herpes  with his powerful herbal medicine.  I contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will help me with the natural herbs!After 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure has been ready and he sent it to me via UPS SPEED POST and it got to me after 4 days i used the medicine as he instructed me (MORNING and EVENING) and i was cured!it's really like a dream but I am so happy!   for the people suffering from herpes and other diseases like  Rectum  effects, intestine damage, bowel obstruction, Ovarian disease,  Cancer, hypothyroidism, Herpes, COPD, HIV, Arthritis, Lyme disease,Hpv, Infections,Liver Disease, Autoimmune Diseases, Parkinson's disease,Lupus,Nephrology and Hypertension, Neurology, Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Women's Health, Oncology, Pediatrics, Pulmonary, ACUTE MYELOFIBROSIS, ALZHEIMER's symptoms, BREAST CANCER, DIABETES, HAIR LOSS AND HAIR TREATMENT, KIDNEY DISEASES, LEUKEMIA, MYELOID LEUKEMIA, STEM CELL TREATMENT 
 should contact him for his herbal medicine because i am a living testimony and i was cured of herpes and his medicine is legit.  I sent him what he requested and he sent me his medicine which  I took for 2 good weeks and today I am out here with a negative result. When I went for the test I was so happy after taking his herbal medication  I paid homage to his country to celebrate with him on his African festival which he told me it usually happens every year.  you can reach him through  VIA E-mail   drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com or whatsapp number:+2348152855846 

Alan Curtis said...

Dr Itua herbal medicine cure my diabetes and my husband's erectile dysfunctions it's help us a lot and we thank Dr Itua very much on his good deeds to us so reason I have been writing about him on every blog I came across with for people with health issue can relate and get well with Dr Itua herbal medicines, Dr Itua can cure Hiv,Herpes,Als,Hepatitis,Cancer,Ms,Menstrual Pain,Parkinson and some other health problem human being can encounter.
Contact him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or visit his herbs store https://drituaherbalcenter.com/shop/. Thank you for your love and opened to sharing your knowledge with us all through this blog site. All my love,