Saturday, May 23, 2009

My Weekend Vibe.......My Tag Team Partner

I was on a field trip Thursday at a beach with a bunch of small kids. As I watched all the little boys to make sure none of them got swept out to sea I couldn’t help thinking about when I was that small and all the kids I used to play with. When were five and six years old all we wanted to do is running around and play. Nobody had any idea of what was coming for some of us at an early age. The city has a way of taking its toll on a group of friends as time goes by. I was thinking about that on the bus ride home. When we got back to New Orleans there was a guy picking up his son. I remember seeing him at other school functions and thought his face was familiar but everyone looks familiar to me and I never know why so I don’t say anything. While I telling how his son took a belly splash into a puddle of water and sand he looked at me and said. “Didn’t you grow up in the Lower Ninth Ward? You lived on St. Claude St. by Pugilas store right?” I said “yeah that’s me”. He said “I remember you. You used to be with that bright skin dude that stayed in the big house”. I replied “yep that was me and my tag team partner”. My weekend vibe song is dedicated to that bright skin dude in the big house. Back when we made wrestling belts out of cardboard boxes, Mardi Gras doubloons and black shoe polish this was our ring entrance music.Our ring was whoever dad had the least amount of tools and work supplies on the back of his truck or my grandmother's backyard if she didn't have clothes hanging on the line.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YEAH SHOUT TO THA WHOLE FAMILY IN THAT HOUSE...OK PEOPLE...