Saturday, July 25, 2009

My Weekend Vibe...The Roots Are Back

The Roots have a new song called How I Got Over. They debuted it on the Jimmy Fallon show a few weeks ago but since I don't watch that I found out late as usual. I have listened to this song about 50 times over the last two days. The video is the live version because it doesn't have the curse words. Plus it's a pretty cool performance too. I know everyone has to feed their family so I am not mad they took the gig as Jimmy Fallon's house band. It just shows how messed up the music industry is that they have to do that and someone like Soulja Boy probably has a mansion and a yacht. I guess they should have done like Jay Z said and dumb down for the audience to double your dollars.




If you want to hear the studio version with the real lyrics click this link right here.

2 comments:

K. said...

That's one hell of a house band! Hey, if The Roots can spread the word to a few more people and make a few extra bucks while doing it, who am I to knock it?

This may be the middle-aged man in me talking, but I really like the direction hip hop has taken -- meaning the absorption of historic black popular music forms as an essential part of its sound. That NOLA brass band is dynamite, and Bootsy Collins himself would be proud of that beat. It definitely makes it more accessible to guys like me.

vjm said...

Cliff, Sweet tune, thanks for turning me on to The Roots!