Thursday, July 2, 2009

How Lil Wayne Started The Hypocrite Debate


The uproar about Lil Wayne’s performance on the BET Awards last Sunday sparked an internal debate all week and I passed the topic along to all my people. The issue is whether or not I am a hypocrite for being totally offended by Lil Wayne having those young girls up on stage while he sang about song about wanting to f@@k every girl in the world. I found out yesterday that one of the girls on stage was his daughter. Now this is not a post to totally dog Lil Wayne. The song in question may bother me but I would be lying if I said there weren’t a few selections of his on my mp3. The reason I felt like a hypocrite is because in my lifetime I have listened to some pretty wild music. There were some songs during my high school and young adult years that would make the average person uncomfortable. I knew all the words. So I am reading and listening to the anger about Lil Wayne’s song and I thought to myself “Who am I to criticize him?” There was a time of my life where I and my friends considered Luther Campbell a hero. One of our goals used to be to hang out with him in Miami. I am certain that if someone offered me enough money I could recite all the words to Gangsta of Love by the Geto Boys. If you don’t know the song already please don’t look it up. The fact that I knew songs like that word for word and embraced the attitude in them makes me feel a little uneasy about talking about those kids for bobbing their heads and reciting the words. I have sung along to much worse. I guess that’s why I don’t talk bad about Soulja Boy. I guess if I was 17 I would dig him too even if I couldn’t understand anything he said.

With that being said, the times I was standing at the concert rocking to the Two Live Crew was at least 15 years ago. Back then I was a young man with not much responsibility. Lil Wayne is a young man but he’s not that young and his daughter is older than mine. I think even if I was 17 years old I wouldn’t sing that song in front of my daughter or any other little babies. I’m not being a hypocrite. I am a concerned man who has grown to believe in protecting these girls at all cost. It’s a bad message to the world about what we think about our women and he shouldn’t have sung that song on an awards show and never even let his daughter listen to it at all. I don’t have any hate for Lil Wayne but that shit last Sunday was inappropriate.

He knows better and I’m sure it won’t happen again. I sure hope it doesn't.

2 comments:

KAMMs TheACE said...

DEEEFINITELY DIDN'T KNOW ONE OF THE GIRLS WAS HIS DAUGHTER!! AM I WRONG FOR NOW THINKING THAT, THAT FACT MAKES THE SITUATION EVEN WORSE??

new hip hop songs said...

I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!!

new hip hop songs