Friday, July 10, 2009

Good Examples Of Why The Police Have An Image Problem

People often wonder why New Orleans can't seem to let go of the past and move forward. They want to know why there's so much distrust of the police department and why we can't seem to let this Katrina stuff go. Stories like this one and this one from last night's news on WDSU. I would have posted the video but Channel 6 news doesn't have an embedding code that I could find. Now, stories like this could trigger a few uncomfortable discussions about race and the police department. It could cause an officer or two to get fired or indicted. If everything in these stories is true then I think that's a good thing. At the least all of the officers involved in that bar fight should be terminated. If they can get away with lying and planting guns on innocent people then I don’t have any confidence in their capabilities to catch the guilty. If you want to eliminate the race card and conspiracy theories out of local government then you have to correct the things that make it so believable. I'm not one of those anti police brothers in general but the kind of thing that happened to Mr. Williams and his friends could have easily happened to me or one of my friends. I'm glad WDSU decided to run these stories.

1 comment:

K. said...

I hope that NOLAns hang on to the Katrina stuff until they have a good reason to let it go. I haven't noticed one yet.