Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day

At last year’s Rising Tide Conference I brought my little brother from the mentoring program to hang out with me and to show him another side to life. I think he had a good time despite being 10 years old and full of energy. Sitting around all day listening to people speak usually isn’t the greatest thing for his demographic but I think he got the point. He won’t be hanging out with me this year because his dad was released from prison a few months ago and now he’s living with him and they are working on their relationship. I met his dad the night I came and picked him to go the Monday Night Raw. He seemed to be a little nervous at the time but I told him he had to give his daddy a chance. I tried to explain to him that his dad was going to need to get comfortable and then things would work out.

I get calls from his grandmother giving me updates on him and apparently things are coming along fine. She thanks me for being there for him. I always tell her it was my pleasure because I know how important it is to have a male influence. I had a great one. I even had a few more for extra measure. I made out alright in the family department. Hopefully his dad keeps things together and can share with him all the things he needs to know to avoid the obstacles as well as he can and have a better and easier life than his dad and I do. You can’t guarantee everything is going to work out but our job is to try and make the process as smooth as possible.

That’s what my dad tried to do for me and his kids. That’s what I try to do for mine. Happy Father’s Day to my dad, Christian’s dad and all the other dads trying to do their best to keep things together.



No comments: