Wednesday, May 3, 2006

Verbal Gumbo 6


First things first…

I don’t care what comments, inspiration words or scriptures you send me. I deal in the this world. There is no such thing as a good place, a good way, or a good time for someone you love to die. This is not to say that I don’t know they are in a better place. I am just saying that when they are gone, you always think about what would happen if you had one more day or one more year with them. Anybody who says they can totally accept the ones closest to them going away has never lost anybody or is just lying and being phony.

Now on to other stuff…..

I have nothing but love for all the rescuers from the Coast Guard who flew all day and night picking people off of rooftops around the city. They deserve accolade they receive. However, since I have been back here and talking to the people I know now that there are stories of regular everyday citizens (black and white) that swam, built raffs, and used their private boats to rescue their fellow man here in the city. If you talk to people they will tell you that people were out there saving people days before George Bush and FEMA got their shit together and sent the heroes from the Coast Guard. When is someone on any level going to take the time and recognize these men. You know, when my dad and my cousin were pulled from the attic at my parent’s home, it was by a white man from St. Bernard parish in his own boat. Lets give the local heroes some props.

What in the hell would make a black dude wear a Katrina shirt like he went to Freaknik or something? Wearing a New Orleans shirt is fine. I want a few of them myself. Wearing a Katrina shirt is like wearing a picture of the dude that shot you on your chest. Don’t give the bitch that kind of glory.

It’s only Wednesday but two things have made me ecstatically happy already. The first was running into my long time homie Ryan at the gas station. If you have been reading this blog you know he’s the brother that got stabbed in the back in the middle of the court while we were walking. I was happy to see a friendly face here. Everyone else I run into are thugs from my childhood that want get some money for me. I guess it’s the thought that counts.

The second thing that made me happy was seeing a woman that broke my heart walking up an abandon street with a crackhead. Words cannot describe how satisfying this was to me.

Kobe Bryant and Lebron James both losing the MVP to Steve Nash is racism by the media.

I am on not saying this to be funny. Barry Bonds needs some police protection as he gets closer to Babe Ruth. There are three sports figures that white people don't play around with; Larry Bird, Vince Lombardi, and Babe Ruth. If you want to be on their level you better have your act together. If I was Barry I would have the FOI out there with me in the batter's box.

The top three issues of the New Orleans mayor’s race are housing, housing, and housing. There is no reason why I have been here working since the end of January and can’t find a house under 1200.00.

I don’t want to sound like an ass, but why would anyone want to go see the movie about Flight 93 on 9/11. First, who wants to relive that shit all over again. I wouldn’t go to a Katrina movie with a free ticket. The second thing is there were no survivors so we don’t know who really did what. There were heroes on that plane and no one doubts that. No one should make money from their sacrifice unless they are going to donate ALL of the funds to the families of the victims.


Rest in Peace to my aunt Iola “Nanny” Butler. Bye Nanny. Say hello to grandpa for me.

No comments: