Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Holiday Perspective

This is my last post until December. It has taken me all day to stop crying enough to write this. Thursday is Thanksgiving. Most of you will be sitting around the table with your love ones having a good time. While you are filling your stomach I want you to look around and ask yourself a question. Is there anything I want to do with or say to the people at this table? If the answer is yes then you better get to it. This is not a negative post. See, many black people talk about all the things and people they were missing in their life. I never had that problem. The truth of the matter is that for 30 years I had the greatest people around me. I never had to look for my daddy or wonder if he loved me. I was treated like a king by my grandparents, aunts, uncles and everyone else. I have nothing to be sad about. This will be the first Thanksgiving I have spent away from my parents and the rest of my family. I was sad about that but then I thought that our bonds is so strong and the memories is so deep that I am way ahead of most people in the family department. It's hard. I still don't know where my grandmother is. I went to today for DNA test and I am hoping everything is fine. Even if it isn't fine I can lay my head down every night for the rest of my life knowing one thing. That woman loved me beyond words. If I see her again in this life or the next one that will never change. I am not going to have the pity party and sit around all day Thursday feeling sorry for myself because tragic things have happened the last few months. See, I owe it to all the people that love me to make sure I take the love I carry with me and transfer that into my children for the rest of their lives. That's the cycle we as a people should be trying to carry on. Happy Thanksgiving grandma, grandpa, Uncle Leroy, Aunt Shirley, Lil Brother, Uncle Bunk and Auntie Debra. I hope you are all near one another waiting for the rest of us.

To all the people who may read this, take time and recognize the good things and the people in your life you care about. Make sure you have some good times to remember. Play with your kids. Talk to your parents. Dance with your grandparents if you still have them. Don't let it all end with regrets. I don't have any. If I had to do it all over again in the same place and at the same time I would.

Happy Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Cliff, I will be thinking of you, and praying for you tomorrow. I pray that you will find your Grandma soon and she be well and in good health. Your friend Neecha sounds like a nice person who really cares about you. I have been talking to my husband and children about you, they all send their love. Mrs. Harris