Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Things I learned in 2004

I was going to do a year in review of 2004. Since I realized that I wouldn't have too many good things to say about the events of this year, I will instead give you the top lessons learned for 2004. You never get too old to learn.


I learned that a baby changes so much, so fast that you better take time to notice what they are doing because in a few weeks they will be an entirely different person. I don't think there is anything else that would give me the same satisfaction as being a father.

I learned that as proud as I am of being a dad, none of that is possible without Tara doing all the work for nine months. Thank You.

I already knew that there is nobody on this Earth that I would switch parents with for Bernadine and Clifton. You are why I am who I am. You probably have more confidence in me than I had in myself some days this year and every other year. If I can give my daughter the same support you give me, then I will be doing ok.

I learned that even though I am blessed to be a 30 year old mature man, sometimes it's ok to wish I was on St. Claude Street sharing everything with Shell, Jenny, Walt, and Jerald.

I am learning that judging by the start of this post, I am becoming way too emotional and sentimental as I get older. Maybe that's the dad in me coming out. There are just too many days where a song on the radio makes me cry.

There is no family I would rather be in other than the Harris, Louvier and Baker family. Thanks for making me feel special even when my confidence was shaken this year.

I learned that no matter how much you love your job and think you are secure, you better have a resume, cover letter, and interview clothes ready to go at any time. There are no guarantees in the job market.

I learned that there is no sense in any human being out of work by choice. I was out of work for 5 months and it drove me crazy. I will never understand how a man can sit home for years without a job or millions of dollars and not shoot somebody.

I learned it's better to let someone else fix your car instead of trying to be Mr. Fix It and breaking it more. Anybody have a jeep engine they want to sell?

I learned that after all these years, I still have the same bunch of friends that treat me with the same love and respect they have for years. I don't always make good decisions but I think I got this friend thing down right. Peace to all my "sisters and brothers from other mothers".

Finally I learned that after all is said and done this year, I am much more stronger and together than I give myself credit for. I don't know why I ever thought I was wasn't. After all, I am a Harris man as we are built for strength.

Bring on 2005 and lets hope that all of our love ones are safe, prosperous, in good health, and free from harm. If problems do come, like they always do, we can pull together and help one another through it.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will admitt that 2004 was the roughest year even for people on the west coast like me... But Life goes on and we look forward to a new and refreshed year 2005 Here I come.I know it will be better.......Best wishes to u and your family in 2005