Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Finally Getting Into Holiday Mode


I finally bought a Christmas tree today. This is the latest I have ever been into the holiday season without decorating the tree. I usually do it the first weekend after Thanksgiving but I wasn’t in the mood. I haven’t even listened to any holiday music unless it came on a television commercial. As of right now I haven’t gotten into the holiday spirit. Waiting around to get into the holidays can be expensive. I learned today that the longer you wait to buy a tree the more expensive and less choices you will have. The tree I bought today cost so much more than what I usually pay that it made me almost wish I had one of those ugly plastic one that come in a box. I may not be into the holidays yet but I will never have a plastic tree.

My mom called me about ten days ago to see if I had the tree up. She said there was something she wanted to do but I needed to have it up. She sounded pretty enthusiastic about whatever it was so I told her I would get it the next day. That was more than a week ago and I am just getting the tree. She may be upset. I’ll call her tomorrow to tell her I finally got it and hopefully I didn’t mess up her plans.

Just for the record, I am not depressed, sad, or upset about anything. I guess I’m always upset about something happening on a larger scale but from a personal standpoint I’m good. I’m about as good as I have ever been in the post Katrina world. It just doesn’t feel like the holiday season.

It could be the weather. I was wearing shorts and short sleeve shirts everywhere until Monday. It could be that everyone is just going through the motions and so busy trying to get through the daily grind they don’t have time to be festive. My block is usually pretty lit when it comes to holiday decorations but up until today the only house on the block with lights on was the lady who decorates for holiday on the calendar and we can’t count her because she decorated her house for everything when she was still in a FEMA trailer.

The older I get the longer it takes for me to get into the holiday spirit. It’s hard to turn off everything going on for the first eleven months and flip the switch to peace on Earth and goodwill toward men. Of course I am saying that as a 38 year old man with 14 hour days and little sleep. Kids don’t feel that way. They are just as excited and happy as ever looking forward to Santa. I was just like that as a child. Now I wish Santa would send me a light bill voucher after busting my budget at Wal Mart and Best Buy. Nevertheless, we all must do what we have to do so I will search for holiday inspiration everywhere I can.

I guess if Earl Simmons can get into the Christmas spirit there’s no reason for me not to.



No comments: