Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Wednesday Groundhog Freestyle Blogging

I have to post this before midnight or the title makes no sense.

It was a pretty cold day today. I tend not to try and get caught up in harping on how cold it is down here because there are other cities buried in snow right now. Plus, it won’t be long before the heat and humidity have me carrying around a damp towel to keep my face from being drenched in sweat. I will deal with a few more days of this kind of weather. I heard the groundhog didn’t see his shadow today so it will be an early spring. I always wondered how in the hell they know what that groundhog sees and how did that one rodent qualify to predict the seasons.

I have been real busy at work but this morning I couldn’t take my eyes of the coverage of things going on in Egypt. I knew it wouldn’t make it all the way to the end without violence. Those pro Mubarak protesters just came out of nowhere. I knew he wasn’t just going to step down after all that time. Tomorrow may be a rough day once the sun comes up. This story is not over.

I watched the coverage on Al Jazeera. I know all of the journalist there are brave and dedicated people but the correspondents for Al Jazeera were really on the front line. There was one lady describing the situation on the ground and ducking rocks at the same time. I was just amazed how she could talk like that in the midst of all that chaos. I wasn’t productive as I could have been this morning but I couldn’t take my eyes off the coverage.

America is going to look like a bunch of hypocrites if they keep allowing Mubarak stop the progress of democracy after we went to war in two other countries for the same principle the Egyptian people have been peacefully protesting for.

Five years after the storm we have many new condominium developments popping up all over. At the same time we have meetings where parents have to argue the case for building or repairing a new school in their community.

Thank you Ms. King and Good Nola.Com for the profile. That was nice.

Thank you for the Archdiocese of New Orleans for posting the baptism records of slaves in Colonial New Orleans. I don’t know how many people are going to have time to do the work to connect their family but it will be enlightening for everybody to go through them and take in that kind of history. I know what's going to happen. As soon as I see anyone with the last name of one my elders I am going to become obsessed thinking that's my great great great great grand people.

Why is the government messing with the definition of rape? I know what rape is. Rape is touching anyone sexually when they didn’t give you permission. If it’s someone under age it doesn’t matter if they gave you permission or not it’s still rape. This is not the way to go even if you are anti-abortion.

If Glen Beck was a black man he would only be known on YouTube by his twenty subscribers and not have his own primetime show on the highest rated news network. Not only would hardly anyone know him but he would have changed his username about 10 times by now because people would report him and they would keep suspending his account. No brother could be that crazy, loud, and disrespectful yet become rich and successful unless he was a rapper. Glen Beck is the Wacka Flacka Flame of political commentary. He goes hard in the paint for fear mongering and insanity.

The sun is about to come up in Egypt. I hope I don’t stay up all night watching this.

3 comments:

Pudge450 said...

I read your profile at NOLA.com. I started reading your blog because you write about New Orleans. I love New Orleans. I love people who love New Orleans. My dream has been to own a second home in New Orleans; but, alas, I seem to be moving in the other direction, having purchased a second home near Birmingham. We did that after Katrina, when we flooded and saw most of our neighbor's homes destroyed and washed away. We repaired our house and moved back in, but made a "2-year plan" to get off the coast. Well, we're approaching 6 years and are still there, but spend much time at our second home.
I love that you love New Orleans.
I'm Republican and don't deny it; but gawd I do detest Glen Beck. He just depresses me. And Sarah Palin is wearing a little thin. Over exposure, I think.
Contrary to popular belief, we do not all walk in lock-step.

Arielle Schecter said...

Thanks for the solid insights, Cliff. Stay strong.

Pudge450 said...

Clarification on my last comment..
I detest his TV show. I just really dislike him a lot.