Monday, July 9, 2007

Not Quite Ready

Let’s get this week off to a positive start. Let’s talk about not taking advantage of opportunity. I spent yesterday evening sitting on my sofa watching TV. I should have been packing. This morning there is a conference starting in Washington D.C. It is full of managers, directors, and professionals in my field. A few weeks ago my director here brought me the information to book my spot and go to D.C. yesterday to be there this morning. I never gave him the registration back. What ever recognition or accolade I receive has been well earned considering where I started from. I wasn't surprised when he asked me if I wanted to go. What I am is disappointed that I didn't. I didn't have a valid reason not to go other than I was just being lazy and not seizing an opportunity to better myself. I can't stand when other people do that so imagine how I feel knowing I did it to myself. I could be having continental breakfast and networking with important people from all around the country. It also was a chance to get away from the swamp for a few days at no charge. Instead, I am sitting at the same desk I do everyday like a second string player. What's going to happen when the next event comes up? What opportunity did I miss by not going? Oh well, at least I had some fun at the Essence festivities. If anyone that reads this sees me on the street this week please feel free to punch me right in the nuts. That's what I deserve for going out like a sucker.

No comments: