Saturday, January 30, 2010

One Week Left And I'm Still Deciding

After I wrote my first Saints Super Bowl post the rest of the week was supposed to be about the New Orleans mayor’s race. I didn't write anything because I am too uninspired about the whole process. I have decided on who I am voting for every other position except for mayor. Before everything got started I had high hopes for the ideas and agendas of the candidates. Maybe I wasn't being realistic. I am not sure what I got instead but at this point no one has sold me totally on voting for them. I look at the number of people voting early and I wonder if I am missing something. What did they hear to decide that this person is the right one for the job? I haven’t heard that yet so at this moment all candidates are still on the table for me.

In general my view on the mayor has changed over the last few months. Watching the State of the Union Wednesday night solidified the way I feel. I watched the president up there practically begging the people in that room to work together and I could see it all on their faces that they really had no intentions on doing that. One person can only change things so much if the rest of the people involved aren’t willing or capable of doing what they need to do. Regardless who wins, if the other people involved in making the city work don’t get together and do the right thing then it doesn’t matter. If everyone is fully committed then we could have an average mayor and things would be okay. I’ll make a decision soon.

P.S.

I would like to tell Ms. Nadine Ramsey that even if she doesn’t win the election she should still get out there and address the issues. I don’t know if she’s ready to be mayor or not but as time goes by she’s more impressive to me. You don’t have to be a politician to be a voice for the people. Please stay engaged.

5 comments:

K. said...

What do you think of James Perry? His numbers are low, but he seems like a good man.

Editilla~New Orleans Ladder said...

You meant James Perry the Rising Star National Internet Candidate of the Progressive Party?

K. said...

Katrina vanden Heuvel wrote favorably of Perry on her blog at The Nation (here). I clicked on some of the links and liked what I read.

Ricardo said...

Cliff if you can not tell us who you will be voting for maybe it would be edifying if you told us who you will not have on your list.

Superdeformed said...

I'm more concerned with with city counsel, sheriff, and the assessor races.

Though I'd rather the coroner and judges be appointed.