Friday, November 21, 2008

You Don't Work Then You Don't Eat

Last weekend parents and volunteers built a playground at my daughter’s school. I would say that in total there were about 10 fathers out there working. I spent the entire day watching the mothers of those children shovel mulch, mix concrete, push wheelbarrows and all kinds of other stuff. I was a little disappointed in the lack of men but I didn’t worry about it because I was there and as long as the project got done and the kids had someone to play I was happy. Besides, it’s not out of the realm of possibility that many of those kids don’t have an active father. That’s a sad but true fact. We can’t dwell on it. We just have to keep moving and get things done.

Last night was the Thanksgiving dinner at the school. Miraculously, dozens and dozens of grown ass men managed to show up for the free food. That’s when I got pissed. Some of these cats may have been working so I won't blanket everybody with the same lack of respect. I know that I and the other 8 or 9 dads that volunteered last week weren’t the only ones off from work last Saturday. Those sorry bastards couldn’t get up early on Saturday and dedicate a day to work for the babies but they can come strutting around for a free meal. I wish I was on the dinner committee. I would have taken the microphone and asked for all the parents who volunteered last week to raise their hands. Then I would have fed the kids first, and then the parents who volunteered and if there was anything left after they were full those sorry excuses could have got some cranberry sauce or something. Some families had two or three men with them. There was a young lady who worked on the playground with her mom. I remember her because she hurt her ankle while we were working. She was at the dinner last night with two male family members who sat there while she fixed them a plate. I wanted to take their two plates, put them together and tell her to bring that home to her mom since she was the only one that showed up. The least they could have done is fixed a plate for her. They didn’t do anything but sit their happy asses there and swallow food. I know those babies were happy to have their dads eating with them at school but as a black man who puts everyone’s agenda before his I was personally disgusted and I hope they all got indigestion.

I now know why my grandfather used to just look at certain cats and shake his head. We have to stop giving these guys grown men props when they don’t want to put in any work or make any sacrifice. What kind of community is this going to be? No one has to comment on this if they don’t feel comfortable. I just needed to say it. I need to put my Obama acceptance speech on tonight to bring back the fantasy world. Yes we can!

2 comments:

Another Conflict Theorist said...

Peace Cliff,

Damn. This was a hell of a post. Frankly, what you described was nothing more than selfishness. I realize that a lot of brothers are conditioned to not see themselves as a part of the community. But the idea that they can step outside of themselves and become a part of the greater good is completely foreign to them. Eventually, all of the excuses (even if they make sense) need to stop and cats need to grow up. If not for themselves then at least for their children.

And kudos to you for doing what you do, Cliff. Whether you realize it or not, you're serving as an example to someone.

BLESSD1 said...

Damn bruh, you got ME heated at those dudes. It's the same for me, man. I go to functions at my son's school and always only see mothers there. The fathers are few.