Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Week Of Adjustment

This week has been all about adjustment. It always takes me awhile to get adjusted to new things. When there is personal stuff you want to accomplish and things going on at work combined with stuff in the world that are changing it drives me a little crazy. I can't tell you guys about the work related stuff because I don't want to get fired and end up on the coast helping clean up the oil spill and cussing out BP employees. The oil spill situation seems to be moving so slowly without a resolution that you don't want to put too much energy into it until you are sure what's going on. I'm pissed but I don't know if I should be 'can't go fishing pissed', or 'damaged water supply pissed', or 'fishing industry destroyed pissed', or all of the above. Regardless of how it turns out I know that someone needs to make sure these companies spend the money on safety measures. I'm going to stay in wait and see mode and hoping the containment dome works.

I'm trying to get adjusted to my new mayor too. It's not a bad thing. It's just a different vibe in the air when we have new leadership. It's only been a week so no one knows what will happen. It seems like most of my friends are a little skeptical of selecting Ronald Serpas as the police chief. It's just bad timing because Danziger 7 is fresh on people's minds. It's just a little strange because when Warren Riley was the Chief everyone said change the culture and get bring in someone from the outside. I agreed with that but then we went hired a chief even more hardcore NOPD than Chief Riley. At least the Feds are coming in to get things in order. We stand to lose more if Chief Serpas doesn't get the job done so the best case scenario for me would be a year or so from now people would be saying how wrong they were about the decision and things are going well. For that reason I will support the chief but I am going to be watching how he handles some of these old problems on the force.

I probably would have handled the news about the police chief better if the day before I hadn't found out one of new deputy mayors was Governor Blanco's chief of staff. It's going to take me some time to get adjusted to that. That might be the longest adjustment because I never liked Governor Blanco. I even voted for Bobby Jindal before I would vote for her. I also never felt she liked New Orleans and she sucked during the Katrina. Now her chief of staff and the former head of the LRA that created the Road Home program is a deputy mayor and the CAO of my city. I'm just saying that our mayor's right hand man was part of an administration that did such a bad job that Governor Blanco didn't try to win re-election. That doesn't really boost my confidence. I don't care if I voted for Landrieu or not, he's going to have to give me at least a year to get over hiring Andy Kopplin. I still want him to be successful too because it's the best thing for the city but It's going to be bittersweet when he is. I guess that's the price you pay for electing a mayor that's been in the state capital forever. It could have been worse. He could have brought Governor Blanco herself in for something and I would have passed out while driving if that story came across the radio. I support the mayor and will be okay. I just need some time.

No comments: